MS WRITE...

MS WRITE...

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Not My Stories...poetry of remembrance...words of hope


June 5, 2010
Not My Stories

In honor of "Memorial Day," the magazine, Eye on Life, published one of my poems entitled, "Not My Stories." While I often write in a somewhat humorous (at least that's the intent) vein, the yin to that yang is my dark, always emotion-filled poetry.


Just such a poem was born as I walked the rather torturous path that was my journey to understanding my father who was a World War II veteran and former prisoner of war. He’s been gone for almost 4 years, but it was always Veteran’s Day and Memorial Day that meant more to him than any other holiday or his own birthday.
He never wanted us to forget him and we haven't. I miss him now. I will miss him always. I see him in every family success, in books filled with knowledge, in my kids' strong Dean chins, in my small, feminized version of his hands, in my need to know everything -- now!

Published:
Tuesday
May 18, 2010

Not My Stories

The stories of the grandfather are not the father’s
For the generations have been kinder as memories falter.
The stories of the father are not the daughter’s
For the generations have been not in kind and memories soften
The stories of the daughter are not the granddaughter’s
For the generations have been their kindest and the memories are reborn.

Diane Dean-Epps


Link to the (publication and) poem:

No comments:

Post a Comment