MS WRITE...

MS WRITE...

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Technology Shuffle...Part I...Building a Humor Column From the Ground Up...


February 9, 2010

I’ve been thinking (insert big, “Uh-oh!”), that if Tom Wolfe could serialize his work in Rolling Stone magazine why couldn’t I serialize my work in (on, around) my own blog? Now, granted, I’m no Tom Wolfe, with or without his snazzy white suits, and we can all agree that my blog is not Rolling Stone, me with a readership of (she said, hopefully) about 40 people.

Nevertheless, why not publish snippets of, say, a column-in-the-making, creating installments that will “show” the building of a humor column, from the ground floor up. I know what you’re all thinking, “You just saw or read, Julie, Julia,” because we’re all witnessing hopeful novelists by the dozens, blogging their way (in)to imaginary book deals. You know what I have to say to that? Nothing. I’ve got nothing. Really. Frankly I’m a little bit sorry I even brought the subject up, so let’s just change the subject.

This work is not, Bonfire of the Vanities, it will never hit the New York Times bestseller list where it will remain for two months and it will not sell over 800,000 copies in hardcover. But let us not dwell on what it is not, but rather what it is. It is a piece I like to call…

The Technology Shuffle -- Part I

As I sit here blow drying my daughter’s ipod that has suffered the cruel fate of being rendered helpless by virtue of an exploded soda lurking in the deepest recesses of her purse, I wonder if technology has made my life simple at all…


TO BE CONTINUED….

No comments:

Post a Comment