MS WRITE...

MS WRITE...

Monday, February 15, 2010

The Technology Shuffle...Part VII of VIII...Building a Humor Column From the Ground Up...


February 15, 2010

The Technology Shuffle – Part VII of VIII

…it obliterates even the illusion that your child is listening to you. In fact, in my own household, my child has taken to loudly proclaiming, “I can’t hear you!” in a matter-of-fact way, as she sets her music to a decibel level that sends me howling when I’m just sitting next to her when she has her “buds” on.

Lest you think my subscription to “Old Fogey Times” is appropriate, I do realize that our generation took quite a bit of heat from our own parents because we blasted our loud music on low-quality amplification systems and, “Turn it down,” usually preceded every request our parents made. “Turn down that music and come and eat!”; “Turn down that music and did you brush your teeth?”; “Turn down that music and why is your principal calling me?” You get the idea. It’s irony at its best, really.

We had headphones, the kind that encapsulated your noggin like an astronaut helmet, and while that probably didn’t do much for our inner ear labyrinths, we didn’t insert a Secret Service-looking implant directly into our cochlea and then detonate the music. (You can see that my new book, "The Ear and I," is really paying off.)

I know the distinction I'm drawing is small. All right, let's be honest, it's minuscule and I think I've just ruined my whole supposition that the ipod is bad, the only bad part being its lack of longevity. Having said that, let's move on to the last in our three-pronged technology topics in this column which is…drum roll puh-leeze…the computer. (I'm planning on writing a separate column on the whole "youtube" phenom because I’ve decided there’s just too much fodder there.)

The computer provides instantaneous community and, thus, instantaneous ways for people to become miffed with one another as we all promote the heck out of our individual…

TO BE CONTINUED…

No comments:

Post a Comment